Sunday 19 May 2013

My Muse..

‘I am writing a Tribute to Mom in association with Parentous.com'

I was four years old when I wrote a letter to my dad "Mum is strict, do something". Decades after I am writing to my dad again " Mum is good, she is doing fine".

Mum and daughters are eventually meant to be best friends that's how God made us. We daughters don't realize it until we have put some mileage on that our Mum who are our true crony.  Mother-daughter relationship is surely sentimentalized but not honored enough. 

I consider myself as the ancient mariner who has so many tales in his heart and he must unfold to all. I am always accosting people and saying "Someday you should meet my mother". When I was young I always drew my mum as a tall and strong one in my sketches but in real she was petite and snowy. Probably I saw her as strong and courageous woman and I knew there is nothing my mum cannot do except Onko(Maths).

How things have changed, my tall and strong mum has turned in to a small and fragile mum. It's the exterior I am talking, heart being still rock solid.  From being just a mother to a friend, her transition was not easy. Her 'cool'  outlook came after lot of whims she had to put up with from her children.
Secretly as kid I would smear her lipstick all over my face to look as pretty as her and now I would just shout at her "Mom- you are not wearing this".

Google Images


Life is bliss when I see child like inquisitiveness in her when I explain her what a 'boyfriend' jacket is. She would keep herself abreast of latest trend, her enthusiasm to dress up her daughters hasn't dimmed a single bit even when her pockets weren't that deep, she would buy cloth piece and stitch dresses for us.


Mother India calls Facebook and Twitter evil. Her idea of staying connected to friends is by making a phone call or by meeting them. She says "If you really feel the urge of writing on someone's wall..call them". Her conjecture comes when she sees me glued to laptop after office. To put it in her words, networking sites eats up the 'Maa-Beti' time. What really amazes her is for hours I can stare at the monitor..I tell her "Maa my innate ability to stare at monitor earns me my bread and butter". Her sigh of impatience after that is priceless. I fear she might disown me the day I tell her I am writing blogs. 

Mom's frankness leaves me with split sides from laughing.Candidly she would ask me in her thick bengali accent, Nobody said Laabh You (Love You) to you, the cheeky answer I could give her is "Na Maa, no one says Laabh or Haani (Love or Honey) to me . Her "Ki bollo??" after each swear word delivered in movies. My pact with her while watching movies is not to ask for a translation for every expletives used. She obediently follows that. 

I can go on and not finish writing about her. I mumble a 'Thanks' to God when I get to see her radiant smile each morning.  When I say  Dad is my North Star - always watching over, Mom is a pathfinder. This one is for the boldest but for the gentlest mother.

If the whole world were put into one scale, and my mother in the other, the whole world would kick the beam ~Henry Bickersteth





2 comments:

  1. Such a heartfelt note. You've got my vote. Good luck.

    And yes, moms are generally like that. Especially when they have daughters :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You.. You don't know how much this means to me. Much Love :)

    ReplyDelete